Friday, February 7, 2014

The Pop Star Redhead: Geri Halliwell


If you are a fan of redheads in the slightest then you know there is a specific one that dominated the 90s, Ginger Spice.
Geri Halliwell, of the Spice Girls

Geri Halliwell, more commonly known as Ginger spice, is a redhead who rose to fame with one of the most popular girl groups of our generation, the Spice Girls. Now unless you lived under a rock throughout the 90s, you definitely know who the Spice Girls are. They are credited as being the biggest cultural icons of the 1990s due to their overwhelming success, extreme popularity and lasting impression within the world of popular culture.


The Iconic Union Jack Dress


Although she stood out from her fellow band mates because of her flaming hair, Geri Halliwell was also remembered for her infamous Union Jack dress, which she wore at he 1997 BRIT awards. This dress would become synonymous with the Spice Girls and the Girl Power movement. Interestingly enough the dress was actually a plain black Gucci mini, but Geri found it too boring and asked her sister to sew a patriotic tea towel on the front to celebrate her British Roots!

In 1998 the dress sold at a charity auction to the Hard Rock Cafe in Las Vegas for a record £41,320 (Approximately $67,800 US). Because of this price tag Halliwell now holds the Guinness World Record for the most expensive piece of pop star clothing ever sold. This garment is the most famous dress in Brit Pop history and even tops the list of Vogue Magazine's Most Famous Dresses, beating out Princess Diana's wedding dress.

This gorgeous redhead is also the most musically successful of all the Spice Girl members. She has released three popular solo albums and participated in the Spice Girls Reunion Tour in 2007.
Although I may seem to be bias, Ginger Spice is without a doubt my favourite Spice Girl. Her sassy stage presence and talented voice, command the stage. Personally I believe her confidence comes from her unique red locks, and the fact her personal image always stood out from the group.
Now for your listening pleasure, a throwback to 1996.


Wannabe, Spice Girls



4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the spice girls! Sporty and Scary were my favourites though. I never knew the dress sold for that much! I have yet to hear some of Ginger Spice's solo tunes, but now that I have read this post, I think I might go exploring and see if I can find a few of her songs. Great job so far with the posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I played this video for my girls :) I was a redhead myself for a number of years, and I might even be tempted to admit that they may have more fun than brunettes.... but then again timing is everything. Fun fact, only 2% of the population have green eyes (like me) - I like identifying with that too, so I get your appreciation for being a genuine redhead. Good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably be singing Wannabe for the rest of the day, so I genuinely thank you for that. I actually love naturally red hair, and have always wanted/wondered why I don't have it. The freckles and all. I love your unique blog topic, and the information about the festival in your last post was very interesting as well! Good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sloane,

    I absolutely love this blog post. How could I not? It's about the Spice Girls. Gerri was actually my favourite out of the group. I thought that she was a fantastic singer and dancer. She definitely had a unique style of her own. Great video to add to the post by the way! It will never get old.

    ReplyDelete