Friday, February 28, 2014

The Cartoon Redhead: Ariel





One of the most iconic Redheads is the star of the 1989 Disney classic The Little Mermaid. Ariel has a very distinctive appearance with her long flowing bright red hair that truly sets her apart from other Disney princesses.

The Little Mermaid: Ariel

Anyone who is a fan of Disney movies, has to agree that Ariel is one of the most unique Princesses of the franchise. For one she is a mermaid, but she is the only animated Disney Princess with luscious red locks. she was truly a trailblazer for young girls like myself to accept their unique red hair as a beautiful attribute.


Ariel's body type and personality in the 1989 movie were based on Alyssa Milano. (Milano was a child star on "Who's the Boss?" at the time.)
Side by side: Alyssa Milano & Ariel
Ariel is an adventurous 16 year old, who had a rebellious streak to her. She often went behind her father`s back and was constantly disobeying his wishes. She longs to break free from the sea and become part of the human world. 

Fun Fact: Ariel`s body type and personality were based on Alyssa Milano. Milano was a child star on "Who`s the Boss?" at the time.



While making The Little Mermaid the choice of Ariel`s hair colour was the subject of dispute between the filmmakers and studio executives, the ladder wanting her hair to be blonde. However it was decided that red hair would contrast better with Ariel`s green tail, and red was easier to darken than yellow. 


The movement of Ariel's hair was modeled after footage of Sally Ride's hair in space.
Astronaut Sally Ride
Fun Fact:The movement of Ariel`s hair underwater was modeled after footage of astronaut Sally Ride`s hair in space.Ride was the first American woman to go into space and goes down in history for having one of the most popular hairstyles of the 80`s!

Although she is merely a cartoon, Ariel is one of the most iconic redheads of my generation. I can speak on personal experience that she is definitely a favourite among fellow gingers!






For your viewing pleasure the 1990 Oscar winner for Best Original Song,Under the Sea:










14 comments:

  1. The Littlest Mermaid is one of my very favourite Disney anime's.....I LOVE Ariel's red hair too and agree, it suits the character's personality and temperament. I didn't know the fun facts either. Thanks for your blog..I LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Mermaid was my absolute favourite Disney movie growing up.. knew she was modelled after Alyssa Milano but didn't know they took inspiration from Sally Ride's hair in space. Thanks for sharing Sloane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't decide whether to comment on this post, my favourite fictional redhead, or your Lucille Ball post, my favourite "real" redhead! I decided on Ariel because who doesn't love Disney movies?! my sisters and myself alway used to pretend to be Ariel when we were kids swimming in the pool and we always thought that our hair looked just like her while under the water. Ariel had the best personality and was very funny, I'm sure she gave a lot of redhead confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE ARIEL! ...and Disney movies as a whole. My best friend is a redhead, as children she always played Ariel and I was Cinderella. Ariel certainly is one of the most unique princess. I love the info on how they created the movement of her hair! Cool! Thanks Sloane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me some litter mermaid. Ariel was one of my favourite disney princesses and I'm happy you agree! Great post and I love all your fun red head facts!
    Keep it up sloanes

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still love watching cartoons as they always help to find and wake up an inner child who is naive and loves with no reason. Ariel is one of my favorite heroes as she is always getting into trouble but manages to tackle it. Great work Sloane)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the risk of going with the crowd - I love Ariel. I had no idea that her character was based on Alyssa Milano. I recently started collecting Disney movies again but haven't picked up The Little Mermaid yet. I do intend to though, I used to have a Flounder as a bath toy and I need him back in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off- always wanted to be her. I didn't think it was fair that she got to be a mermaid and I had legs and such.
    Secondly- this post made me smile. I'm so happy you're including cartoon redheads as well!
    Us gingers gotta stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Arial - I used to be so sad as a kid that I didn't have red hair like her. As I was reading this, all I could think about was how I used to pester my parents for Arial toys all the time. And I'll always have a soft spot for The Little Mermaid - it was the first movie I ever saw in the theatre! (Don't you dare do the math!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sloane, this post is fantastic! Ariel always made me want to "be apart of your world" the 'ginge' world that is. I distinctly remember forcing my parents to by me a red wig for my birthday so I could be Ariel all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dyed my hair red a couple of years ago because I wanted to be like Ariel. When I was a teen, people would always tell me red hair suited me and when I was brave enough to give it a try, I absolutely loved it. I was always a "want-to-be ginger."
    I love Disney moves and Ariel was always one of my favourite princesses.
    Disney movie + redhead princess = perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. Cartoon hd apk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. Cartoon hd apk

    ReplyDelete